With the help of our friends at Bostitch, the following will help you identify the best carton closing stapler and carton closing staples to staple the tops and bottoms of boxes.
First, let’s talk staples.
Carton closing staples for top and bottom box closure come in two styles.
- “Stick” or “Strip” – good for low and medium volume carton closing stapling applications.
- Coil Staples – good for medium and high volume carton stapling applications.
Like most staples, carton closing staples have three important measurements that make up the overall dimensions of the staple:
- Crown Width: This is the wire along the top that connects the 2 legs. Common carton closing staple crown dimensions used to close the bottoms and tops of boxes include: 1-3/8″ wide crown (or “A” crown) and 1-1/4″ wide crown (or “C” crown).
- Leg Length: The two wires that come down from each end of the crown wire make up the legs of the staple. Common carton closing staple leg lengths used to close the bottoms and tops of boxes include: 1/2″, 5/8″, 3/4″, 7/8″, and 1-1/2″.
- Wire Dimensions: Fastener wire is either flat or round. Carton closing staples are made of flat wire that has two dimensions. For example, the wire dimensions of the Bostitch SW74375/8 staple are .074″ x .037″. You will notice that these dimensions make up a portion of the nomenclature of the part number.
Tip! – The wider the crown and the thicker the staple wire, the more secure the fastener will be.
Which staple is the best staple for your particular carton closing application?
The guidelines stand pretty true for most top and bottom box stapling applications using a box with standard “C” flute corrugated board.
- Single wall corrugated: 1/2″, 5/8″, and 3/4″ leg lengths
- Double wall corrugated: 3/4″ and 7/8″ leg lengths
- Triple wall corrugated: 7/8″ and 1-1/2″ leg lengths depending on the application
- Bostitch provides a nice table on page three of their Carton Closing & Packaging Tools & Fasteners brochure.
Now, let’s take a look at the Bostitch carton closing stapler options.
Bostitch offers a variety of carton closing stapler options for stapling the tops and bottoms of boxes. There are manual hand-held carton closing staplers as well as pneumatic/air driven, and cordless hand-held box closing staplers. In addition, they offer floor model box bottom staplers in both manual and electric options. There are models of staplers for both stick staples and coil staples. As overwhelming as such a variety of tool options may seem, you can easily narrow them down by considering the volume of the application, the desired mobility of the tools, as well as the staple length required.
- If you are looking at a high volume application and a need for speed – the ultimate in top closure would be a pneumatic hand-held coil stapler such as the Bostitch D62ADC. It uses the coil staples with 1,000 staples per coil for less frequent reloading. For stapling the bottoms of boxes, go with the floor model FC96EC. It uses the coil staples with 4,000 staples per coil.
- If mobility with a little more speed is important, check out this YouTube video featuring the line of Bostitch Cordless Carton Closing Staplers.
All of the Bostitch carton closing tools are equipped with staple length and depth of drive adjustment allowing the user to control the clinch depth:
- Standard Clinch – the staple legs completely penetrate the outside and inside flaps.
- Blind Clinch – the staple legs penetrate the outside flap without piercing through the bottom liner of the inside flap to protect box contents.
Benefit from the availability of replacement parts and superior technical service & support.
Bostitch carton closing tools are top of the line and are engineered to hold up to years of industrial production level use, so having access to replacement parts and service by factory authorized and trained bench technicians is important. R.V. Evans Company is equipped to handle any technical service needs that may arise. We stock common replacement parts for most Bostitch tools and have seasoned bench technicians that help trouble shoot and provide speedy & thorough tool repairs.
For more information on carton closing visit us at www.rvevans.com, or contact R.V. Evans Company Our team of packaging & fastening specialists are happy to review your particular application or perform a Site Needs Analysis and offer specific solutions for your carton closing needs.
Connect with R.V. Evans Company for new packaging and fastening system updates, tips, application solutions, and a little fun stuff too!
Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn