Selecting a new stretch wrapper can be a daunting task. Here are a few tips to help simplify this task and help you select the wrapper that most positively affects your bottom line for years to come.
First, let’s reiterate why we stretch wrap. We stretch wrap loads with two primary objectives:
- Get your load from Point A to Point B without damaging the contents
- Perform objective #1 as cost-effectively as possible
- Machines wrap much more efficiently than people (in terms of both cost and proper application).
When it’s time for a new stretch wrapper- whether it’s your first machine, you’re considering an additional machine, or you’re upgrading into a more advanced machine- there are some important things to consider.
Consider the load.
- What exactly are you wrapping and what’s the current process like?
- What are the physical attributes of the load (height, width, length, weight, etc)?
- Is it an A, B, or C type load?
- How many of these loads per day do you need to wrap?
- How are the pallets handled (pallet jacks, fork lifts, etc)?
- What are your needs for pallet-per-hour capacity? Think both short- and long-term.
How exactly should you wrap each individual load?
- What types of film should you use?
- How tightly do these loads need wrapped?
- What wrap pattern(s) should you use?
- How many different “recipes” do you need (wrap pattern, tightness, etc)?
What is best for you in terms of field maintenance?
- How much maintenance will be involved with your new machine?
- How easily modified is this new machine? Your needs will very likely change over time.
- Are the parts proprietary?
Productivity enhancements and value-added features
- How much film pre-stretch is best for you? Need help understanding pre-stretch?
- Will you benefit from an automatic film attach/cut/wipe-down? See an example here.
- Do you need an integrated scale?
- How much will pallet conveyors help you?
- What features can help you reduce labor and non-value-added activities? I.e, getting on and off the forklift for each load, etc.
- What features would help your operators work more safely?
Training and support
- How will your operators be taught how to properly and effectively use this machine?
- If you run into the unexpected, will your vendor be there to help you?
Good and confused? That’s okay! R.V. Evans is here for you. There is no need for you to be an expert on all of this. We’ve got those experts for you! This is simply a breakdown of important things to consider as you engage in a conversation with the R.V. Evans team about your next stretch wrapper!
Connect with R.V. Evans Company for new packaging and fastening system updates, tips, application solutions, and a little fun stuff too!
Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn